Recipe 3: Plum and Orange jam with Hazelnuts
An invigorating and unusual combination of flavours makes this recipe a must try.
1Kg plums (stones removed)
Finely grated zest and juice of a small orange or lime
*Note: To test the setting point of the jam, drop a small amount of the jam onto a cold saucer and leave to cool. Push the drops with either your finger or a spoon. If the jam crinkles and appears sticky, the jam is set, if your finger moves easily through the jam it will require further heating until it is thicker.
- Place plums in a pan with 75mL of water and the orange/lime juice and zest.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes untile the fruit is soft. Meanwhile, preheat the grill.
- Spread the hazelnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast until the skins split and the nuts begin to brown, stir as necessary to brown evenly.
- Tip roasted nuts into a colander and rub with a dry cloth or tea towel to remove the skins.
- Chop the nuts.
- Stir the sugar and nuts into the hot plums until the sugar is disolved completely.
- Raise the heat and hard boil for 10-15 minutes, stir as necessary until the setting point is reached*. Remove from the heat and skin the foam off the surface of the jam with a slotted spoon.
- Leave to stand for 10-15 minutes to cool a little. Stir and ladle into clean jars.
- Seal the jars. Store in a cool dry place.